“Camille. I have a time sensitive question for you,” my friend Amanda texted me. When you receive such a text from a woman of the world like Amanda, it could mean anything. Newly acquired concert tickets at Union Transfer. Information on the location of an underground experimental art show. An invitation from a new friend to go on their private jet.
In the case of Her Place, it certainly is a “run, don’t walk” situation. I’ll drop the deats below on how to snag your spot, and other items you need to know:
- There are 18 seats.
- Dinners occur 4 nights a week, twice (a 6:15 PM and 8:30 PM dinner slot).
- Reservations and weekly menu goes live on Sundays at 6:00PM.
- BYOB – if you forget to bring yourself a beverage, there’s The Foodery just a few steps away.
- Come hungry, I simply can’t emphasize this enough.
- Absolutely follow on Instagram, as last minute openings are announced on stories (which is how ours was claimed).
- It is still happening this month and into August.
The website describes it as follows:
“Kind of like a restaurant but kind of like a dinner party. A summer not-restaurant for a future restaurant. Menus change weekly, sometimes daily, sometimes a la minute need be (let’s avoid this one @ me). I can’t wait to feed you! BYOB!!!”
And I could not wait to eat.
We entered what was once a deserted pizzeria, and were welcomed into a space that was transformed to feel like a friend’s dining room. The menu is always changing, and the theme of this dinner was inspired by Shabbat dinner (we ended the evening with her grandmother’s Shabbat sprinkle cookies).
It was also our friend Kristen’s birthday, and chef Shulman was kind enough to turn all of the lights off, as the entire restaurant sang happy birthday in unison.
After a year of little-to-no social interaction, warm, welcoming things like Her Place are exactly what we need. We had the pleasure of being able to watch Chef Shulman prepare every meal and go into detail about each dish before it was served. Part of the experience was admiring her expertise, which made enjoying her incredible meals all that more impressive and memorable. A force to be reckoned with, indeed.
Again, run don’t walk to Her Place Supper Club.